With school ending and summer on the horizon, we are all planning for our next getaway! Here are a few tips to keep your vacation sustainable so you can relax knowing you are recharging both yourself and the environment!
- Bring your own reusable water bottle: Whether it’s a relaxing beach vacation or exploring a new city, having water with you is essential. Instead of purchasing a case of single-use plastic bottles (and hoping there’s a recycling receptacle nearby), bring your own reusable bottle to refill every day.
- Refillable toiletries: We often pack our toothbrush and toothpaste from home, but it’s just as easy to throw in refillable travel-size toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, and hair gel. A Simple Planet offers refillable 2.7oz bottles (yes they can go in your carry-on, they are fully airplane travel size compliant!) so that you can always have your favorite products and continue to eliminate waste, wherever you go. The small plastic bottles from the hotel can only be used once, even if they are unopened! Likely they are not rinsing them out and recycling them after every hotel guest, so top off your shampoo and conditioner travel containers when you can and rinse and recycle the containers yourself. Not your product? Bring them home and donate them to your local homeless shelter.
- Location, location, location! When you’re researching lodging, try to choose a central location where you can walk or take public transport to restaurants, museums, or other activities. Save yourself some money on a car rental, gas, and parking while reducing local traffic and carbon emissions. Even better do a Google search for sustainable tourism destinations to browse locations that are already on sustainability train!
- Hotel hacks: Hang up that “Do Not Disturb” sign and skip a room cleaning for a day or two to reduce unnecessary washing of linen, vacuuming, and other chemicals for cleaning. Many hotels will have a placard indicating that if you hang your towels up, they know you’re happy to reuse them.
- BYOB: Bring your own bag! When you’re out shopping for souvenirs, skip the plastic shopping bags and bring a reusable one or a backpack. Some reusable bags can be rolled up into a pouch and have a clip making them perfect for traveling.
Being eco-friendly doesn’t have to be limited to your home area. With a little forethought, you can live sustainably at any destination!